In case you haven't ever celebrated Star Wars day, you should know:
- It's on May the fourth because it sounds like "May the force be with you."
- People dress up like Star Wars characters.
- People also binge watch the movies.
- For dinner, I am serving crescent rolls wrapped around hot dogs. It's a Jar Jar link. I am a hero.
- Yoda is a furry green Jedi Master who switches up his sentence structure: Up to speed now you are.
Yoda’s wise messages taught Luke Skywalker how to use his mind to battle the dark side. Here are my five favorites.
“Fear Is The Path To The Dark Side. Fear Leads To Anger. Anger Leads To Hate. Hate To Leads To Suffering.”
I am impacted by the generational sins of AUD (alcohol use disorder, formerly called alcoholism). This disease poisoned my family of origin, distorting our frame of reference. Before I found recovery, I was paralyzed by fear, people-pleasing, and anxiety. I know the power of that dark side.
“In A Dark Place We Find Ourselves, And A Little More Knowledge Lights Our Way.”
In the rooms of recovery, I met people whose happiness didn’t depend on someone else's addiction, relapse, or sobriety. Learn more new Jedi ways I must.
“You Must Unlearn What You Have Learned.”
Recovery renews my mind, and each new slogan is as cryptic as Yoda's wisdom. The messages are life changing. I’ll never forget the first time I heard I can only change me.
“You Will Know (The Good From The Bad) When You Are Calm, At Peace. Passive. A Jedi Uses The Force For Knowledge And Defense, Never For Attack.”
I came to recovery looking for peace. My co-dependency tools of controlling and manipulation were rusted and broken. They never led to peace. I've replaced those with The Serenity Prayer:
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”
At any time, I can ask my Higher Power, who is “The Force” to me, for serenity, courage, and wisdom. Only three tools a Jedi needs.
“Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything You Fear To Lose.”
When my emotions are in an uproar, fear is the root of the problem. This is a common issue for adult children of alcoholics. Before recovery, I was alone and terrified. Like many others, I found peace in someone bigger than me. My Higher Power restores my sanity. This spiritual side of my recovery, reminds me of Luke Skywalker's training with Yoda. Luke was blindfolded and had to use his light saber to hit a training droid. This is how I feel when I ask my Higher Power for guidance. Yet works it does.
“Clear Your Mind Must Be, If You Are To Find The Villains Behind This Plot.”
To recover, I must heal my body, mind, and soul. This week, I am increasing my potassium intake because potassium moves nutrients into cells and takes toxins out.
- 1/2 avocado - it's Yoda green, high in potassium, healthy fat, and fiber
- 1 banana - also high in potassium and a good natural sweetener
- 10 frozen peaches - my favorite - because recovery is all about me, and they are a good source of potassium
- 20 frozen green grapes - again, Yoda green, naturally sweet, and
- 1 cup coconut milk - it has magnesium which may help combat stress (Per Dr. Axe)
Blend all ingredients in a food processor and serve. Surprised I was that my young Jedi loved this. We had them for breakfast while watching The Empire Strikes Back.
A Reach Out Recovery Exclusive By: Pam Carver